Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pucker Up


This dessert is such a classic for me. Growing up, my mom baked it all the time, and while I must admit I wasn't such a fan when I was younger (I had a thing against lemons), it's now one of my favorites. The flaky buttery crust paired with the not too lemony, not too sweet combination is perfect. This is one of those desserts to make for a dinner party because you know that it will always be a hit. Add this to your repertoire and you'll be sure to WOW all of your friends. So go cut those lemons and Pucker Up!

Lemon Squares

1 cup butter/margarine
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 c. flour
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
6 T. lemon juice
1 T. flour
1/2 t. baking powder

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix butter, powdered sugar, and 2 cups flour. Press into a 10x14 inch pan (jelly roll pan). Bake 15 min. Beat eggs. Add 2 cups sugar, lemon juice, 1 T. flour, baking powder. Pour over pastry. Bake 40-50 minutes more. Dust with additional powdered sugar.

Suggestion: Taste the liquid batter before you pour it over the crust. Depending on the lemons you picked, they might be too sweet or not bitter enough. Adjust the recipe as needed by adding more lemon juice or sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment