Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fancy a Frittata



I have wanted to make a frittata for the longest time! The problem always was however, that I didn't have a cast iron pan. You can make a frittata in other baking dishes, but something about a cast iron pan has just always seemed so cool, so professional. My dream finally came true the other day when I got my first cast iron pan! Only a fellow foodie would understand what an exciting day this was for me. As soon as I got home I immediately started thinking of recipes to put my new pan to the test!

I chose a simple dish, one that is filling, light, and of course heart healthy too. Packed with vegetables, truly a rainbow of flavors and colors, this dish is sure to satisfy you breakfast, lunch, dinner, whenever!

Vegetable Frittata

6-8 eggs
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup of Milk
Olive Oil and Nonstick Spray
1/2 Red Pepper
1/2 Green Pepper
2 medium mushrooms
A handful of asparagus
1 small onion
3-4 cloves of roasted garlic, smashed
A handful of broccoli florets
1/2 zucchini

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Chop all vegetables until they are bite sized or to your liking. Sauté over low to medium heat in your cast iron pan. Be sure to coat the pan well with non-stick spray and olive-oil. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, but not limp. Season all vegetables with salt and pepper as they cook.

NOTE: It may be easier to cook each type of vegetable individually and then mix them together after they are all cooked.

Crack the eggs in a bowl and also add milk, salt, pepper, cheese, and smashed (into a paste) roasted garlic (check out my post on roasted garlic to see how to make it). Whisk until fully mixed and then pour on top of the vegetables. Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

Smile, savor the flavors, and enjoy that cast iron pan!

Suggestion: A frittata is like a blank canvas. There are endless varieties. Try different vegetables, cheeses, eggs, even meats if you'd like. Be creative, because with that cast iron pan as the star of the show, you just can't go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment