Saturday, July 3, 2010

Got a Green Thumb?

I remember falling in love with herbs when I first began cooking, just a few years ago. The freshness and brightness they bring to each dish is amazing. They add a flavor and crispness that nothing else can rival. Although I've had a love affair with them for years, I never thought about growing my own herb garden until a couple of months ago.

A friend of mine gave me a set of three herbs to grow in my windowsill: chives, parsley, and basil. At first I was apprehensive. I had this idea in my head that gardening was difficult, time-consuming, and that I would kill anything my hands touched. Little did I know that I had a green thumb! Who knew?! Turns out, as long as you follow the directions that come with the plant, anyone can grow their own herbs.

As if that weren't great enough, growing your own herbs is so much cheaper than buying them in the store. Whenever you cut off some herbs, the plant immediately starts growing back, giving you an endless supply of goodness. So get out there, be adventurous, and make some incredibly tasty food!

Suggestion: Try using herbs to freshen up any dish; salads, pastas, meats, you name it! Put your imagination to the test and chop away!

2 comments: